4.03.2012

How to be a wise shopaholic !

Hello my beautiful readers :) 


Today I was reading 'the secret dreamworld of a shopaholic' and I came across this quote :


''In fact I think they should list shopping under cardiovascular activity. My heart never beats as fast as it does when I see a 'reduced by 50 per cent' sign.'' 

Yes, I admit that I consider shopping as a sport, I'm such a talented athlete you know :P However sometimes we need to go through our wardrobe and realize that we need to be more sensible when shopping. I bet all of you (like me) have stuff you regret buying in your wardrobe, stuff that lay there but you avoid to wear because you realized you shouldn't have bought. Don't you ? 


I gathered some suggestions on how to shop wisely. I'm sure you'll see yourself guilty in some, so take care of these tips and tricks when shopping next, your bank account will be happy :) 


  • KNOW WHAT YOU OWN. Go round your wardrobe before you go shopping so you make sure to know what you already own and not buying similar pieces, or pieces which don't compliment any of your other items. 


  • PLAN.
    Make lists of what you really need, of what is missing in your wardrobe and of items that would complete some outfits that you already have. 

  • LIFESTYLE.
    Consider your lifestyle before buying, be realistic and ask yourself where and when you will wear the item. 

  • KNOW YOUR BODY TYPE.
    Look for things that will embrace your body type perfectly, that will bring out your best feature. Know what suits you best and buy similar things. 

  • INSPIRE YOURSELF.
    Why not looking through old pictures and see what you look best in and what colour suits you most? Inspire yourself from street-style and look for styles and items you liked on others, only if they fit your personality and shape.

  • BUY YOUR SIZE.
    Every shop tend to vary in sizes, so try more than one size before buying. Never buy anything, especially trousers, shorts and skirts, which are too tight or too large as they will both make you look fatter. (unless embracing the over-sized trend properly)

  • DON'T BUY BECAUSE IT FITS.
    Yes you have to buy what fits, but not because it fits. I tend to have that problem because of my size, it is sometimes really hard to find items I like in my size. Yet, I try to avoid buying an item just because it is the only one that fits me, and which I'm not particularly excited about. I buy what I like and that fits. 

  • DRESS UP FOR SHOPPING.
    Go pretty when shopping, because if you don't like the way you look, you won't like the way the clothes look on you either! Don't forget to wear your best undergarments too, so the items you try on look the best on you too. 

  • COMPARE.
    Compare items from one shop to another, compare the price, the material, the quality, and how it fits, so as to avoid finding another piece which you would have been more fond of! 

  • HAVE A BUDGET. Know your budget and see if items are worth buying at that price.

  • TRY ON.
    Always try on clothing before buying, walk with it, sit, bend, jump, walk away from the mirror so you see yourself from different angles, do whatever you want.. the important thing is that you are sure that you are comfortable in that piece and that nothing is too tight or too loose. (of course unless online shopping)

  • HAVE YOU OWN OPINION.
    Rely only on your taste. You will be the one wearing it, so be sure you like it and that you are looking forward to wearing it! However don't be afraid to ask for opinions, to a friend or to the sales girl, you will still be the one taking the decision whether to buy it or not. If you tend to find it difficult to buy alone, take a friend who has your same tastes in fashion, and don't let anyone influence you badly :P 

  • RECOGNIZE A BARGAIN.
    Don't buy anything with a cheap price. Sale can help you make really good deals, but not everything on sale is a good deal! You have to think whether you would have wanted to buy the item if it wasn't on sale. If you wouldn't have considered it, then don't buy it. It's better if you keep that seven euros for something you really want than for a cheap item. But don't get me wrong! Sale does not mean cheap and boring.


Always choose to shine! 

Much love 

Ruth x x 



7 comments:

jeanelle said...

goshh these tips are awesome Ruth!!! and 100% true, ok i'm gonna use them for sure ;))

Ruth Scicluna said...

thanks jean :) glad you found it useful!

Lara's Pint Of Style said...

Very useful post Ruth! Thanks for sharing :) xx

ErikaS said...

haha lovvveee the quote ;D its so true..and the tips are really practical as well! i just started writing lists to avoid buying extra stuff haha hope it works :-) keep it up :D xxxxxxx

Ruth Scicluna said...

good luck :P glad you enjoyed it :) thxx

Martha from Malta said...

I should stick this post on the door so I can remind myself allll of this before I leave the house haha. These tips are sooo true so thanks for sharing!

Btw I really enjoy reading your blog, keep it up :)

Martha x

http://marthasdiaryblog.blogspot.com/

Ruth Scicluna said...

thank you so much martha :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...