12.19.2011

Warm vs Gorgeous ... how about both ??

Hello dear readers  :)

Finally we’re getting some Christmas weather in Malta and I bet there are plenty of you snuggling in bed, wearing cosy pyjamas and drinking hot chocolate, just like I am at the moment. At least I get to enjoy this moment after a long busy day at university... 



I would pay to be able to spend more time like this in bed, but I can’t of course, we have to go out, and feel the cold ... and when I say cold... I mean COLD ... today everyone was literally shaking! I noticed that there were two kinds of people today though... Half of them were those wearing fashionable, which were freezing cold , and the other half were those who were wearing like a snowman (like I was) with enormous clothes and who were ‘kind of’ not feeling as much cold as the others...

Does it mean that because it’s cold outside, we need to give up looking good ??  Honestly , today I grabbed my cosiest jacket , and wore it over an old plain jumper and scarf, and added a black lace up impermeable boots to some skinny jeans. I did not feel gorgeous , but I felt cosy... And spent the day looking at what people do to feel cosy and look chick at the same time.

I will tell you some tips and tricks that I learned today and that I need to keep in mind when choosing an outfit in this weather! 

The first rule is investing in a good pair of boots... It’s not just about the cold and the need to keep your feet warm, it’s also about the rain and the need to keep your feet dry! Wet feet in winter are a nightmare! Speaking from previous experience .. They won’t dry up or warm up until you go home and change socks! So keep in mind to always carry an extra pair of socks with you, but prevention is better than cure! So invest in a good boots with matches with a lot of different outfits you have.

Scarves and beanies and gloves are winter must haves every year. There are thousands of shapes colours and patterns to choose from, and they give warmth to any outfit. Beanies are excellent to keep your ears warm and cover up any bad hair days you may have. I love the look of beanies, scarves and gloves especially with leather jackets. They give the edginess of the jacket, a more warm and cosy look. Also, leather jackets tend to not have a hood, and if you’re stuck in rain (happened to me and two of my friends today  :P) , (and you don’t want the wind to ruin your umbrella in the rain, or it has already been ruined) and you need to run to get to class, you might find a beanie really useful if you don’t want your hair to get wet.
Christmas/Winter prints are must haves this winter !!

And we come to the most difficult part ... how can we layer without ending up like this?? haha
Joe from the TV Series friends ...  wearing a whole wardrobe ! 


If you’re wearing casual, start by creating a base layer with a tank top, t-shirt or a shirt and a pair of leggings or tights (especially under jeans)  ... this will add warmth to your chest and legs without adding a bulk of clothes. Then add an extra layer of warmth with a cosy cardigan or sweater, and top with another jacket, (depending on how much cold it is and if it’s raining or not). You’ll still look cute and comfortable.  

http://www.keikolynn.com/  (this picture is taken from her blog)


Actually there’s nothing special, I just tend to forget to wear something good enough under the jacket so that I could take it off inside and still be comfortable. Today I spent the whole day with the jacket just because I didn’t like the top I had underneath, and apart from that , It would have been too cold with that top only ... So don’t copy what I did today, and consider that before choosing your outfits. Wear something cute under your jacket and layer a tank top, a t-shirt or a shirt underneath that to add warmth without adding much volume.

I really hope you found this blog-post useful.. Enjoy your winter!! 

Much love

Ruth x x x 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...